Lonzo here...
On Saturday December 1st, 2007 there will be a benefit for close friend and Fairmont native Mark Nelson at the Red Rock Center for the Arts in Fairmont. Mark answers to many unique monikers including Pete, Stive, Bedford and many more. Mark has been battling colon cancer these last many months and assuredly this benefit will raise a few extra bucks to help defray some of the medical costs. Bedford and I go way back. We used to sit next to each other singing 2nd tenor in the Fairmont High School choir, sat next to each other many times in High School band and marched in many parades as trumpeter's. During our high school years Fairmont had two bands and one year as I recall we both were in the position of being either the "worst of the best" or "the best of the worst" meaning if we made the "A" band (Concert Band) we would be playing the third coronet parts and if we made the "B" band (everyone else) we would be first and second chair! Thanks to Bedford's urging I started playing the bass in 1987 after moving back to Minnesota from Arizona. Bedford, eBuzz, the High Bun, Chico Juan Lenardo and Lonzo would eventually evolve into the Jameson Drovers bluegrass band. The Drovers along with Warren Nelson and other special guests will provide music at the benefit. When it comes to remembering lyrics Bedford and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum. In the twenty some years I've been jamming with him and the Drovers I don't think I have EVER heard him screw up a lyric or forget a verse. I on the other hand can't seem to spit it out even when the words are right there on paper in front of me. Bedford also is famous for not only knowing the lyrics to some 500 songs he also has been known to play guitar, banjo or dobro for hours on end around a campfire, especially when travelling to some remote section of the globe with the "voyageurs" on their annual trek. When asked what his most memorable gig has been over the years he most certainly would say "any campfire". Bedford's musical influence on me personally is vast.
The benefit will be starting ast 5:00 PM with live music, silent auction, food and festivities.
If you are in the area please stop on by and show your support for Bedford, Karyn and Eli.
Here's Bedford's Caring Bridge site:
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/markpetenelson
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment